Wednesday 31 October 2012

Tuna Rice

I first had this made for me by my darling friend Abrar and as her name suggests she is just magic in the kitchen. Now I wasn't too keen when I heard what we were having for dinner as I am a fuss pot when it comes to Tuna, especially when its served hot. Unless its a seared Tuna steak that is. However, I can safely say this is fast becoming one of my all time favourites and I have An'aam, Abrar's cousin working for me so when ever I feel the need for comfort food I get a huge portion of this brought in by An'aam and I am a very lucky, happy and satisfied girlie.

So here is the recipe An'aam's Mum makes us on a regular basis.


2 peeled and diced potatoes (1 inch)
1 mug/cup Basmati rice
1 1/2 cups of water (use the same mug you measured the rice)
2 medium onions chopped.
1tsp Paprika
1/2tsp Cumin
1tsp Chilli powder
2 green or red chillies
2-3 tbsp of Tomato purée
1 drained tin of Tuna
Season to taste
Couple of squirts of fry spray or a little plain vegetable oil.

Fry onions, in fry spray until softened, add the spices and mix into the onions and fry for a few minutes – add drained tuna and fresh chopped chilli. Add the tomato purée and potatoes mix well. When the ingredients starts to stick to the pan add the rice and coat with the onion, tuna, spice mix and then add 1 and ½water per cup of rice. 
You may need to add more water as potatoes soak up the water
Add the salt once the water begins to dry upput the cooker on the lowest heat and cover (don’t touch it) and leave forabout 10mins (don’t mix the food just let the water dry up)

Really, really delicious and if using Tuna in spring water free on EE SW. My friends add tinned sweetcorn or peas as well but I like it naked so to speak. This is a carb fuelled internal comfort blanket. So delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment