Sunday 11 November 2012

Step 1: Mrs Christmas' Cake

Part of the Hutt/Miles' family tradition run up to Christmas, is to make a lovely fruity, rich Christmas Cake. Nanny had her own recipe as did Mum and I also have my own little twist on things too. Mum preferred to use ground almonds in her fruit cake, whilst I prefer whole nuts, almonds and Brazil nuts beings my favourite. I'm not a fan of candid peel so I tend to use only a very little. But I do love chopped apricots, prunes, dried blueberries and cranberries and whatever else you fancy to be honest. I don't use currants but prefer the plumper raisin and sultanas. So if you have a preference use what you wish but just make sure the overall quantity of dried fruit equals 900g.

The first ritual for me is to macerate the fruit in the contents of my booze cupboard. I like to start early and have been known to gather the dregs of dried fruit from the back of the cupboard and bathe them in booze as early as July. In fact I soaked the fruit for my wedding cake for nearly a year.

So down to the soaking nitty gritty. Mum preferred French brandy, Nanny like sherry brandy and I like to use dark rum, brandy, sherry and a slosh of whiskey, just to make sure nobody feels left out. The quantities are entirely up to you and dependant on how long your going to soak the fruit, because they're thirsty little berries, but too few days means less booze otherwise the cake will be too wet.

Place in a nice large bowl your dried fruit:
300g sultanas
200g raisins
150g chopped prunes
150g chopped dried apricots
50g glacé cherries - Mum used to chop hers but I prefer to leave mine whole and I don't get sticky fingers that way.
50g dried cranberries
A slosh of Whiskey
A gurgle of Dark rum
A glug of French brandy
And a Nanny's measure of Sweet sherry (traditionally Harvey's Bristol Cream)

Mix this all well and cover the bowl tightly with cling film. And leave to soak. I like to give the fruit a stir once a week and see if it needs any more booze and add as necessary. This is your baby and it will happily sit on your kitchen Worktop until your ready.

Step 2 is all about getting your bake on and filling the house with the most incredible Christmas aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment