Wednesday 21 November 2012

Soufflé Mac 'n' Cheese

Ok so on my 30th Birthday I flew to NYC with the lovely Rachael and bestie Lynsey. And I am embarrassed to admit I had my first encounter with Mac 'n' Cheese and had to ask what it was when I saw it on the menu. Now I pride myself on my culinary knowledge but this cheesy pasta phenomenon had passed me by and was not something Mum had ever cooked or I had come across. So when I got home I cracked open Delia's vegetarian cook book and made this little beauty!

Ingredients
200g macaroni
100g mascarpone cheese
50g Parmesan cheese
50g Gruyere cheese
2 egg yokes
2 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
275ml milk
25g butter
25g plain flour
1 onion chopped
1tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper

Put on a pan of water and cook macaroni pasta as per instructions on the packet.

Sweat onion in butter and when soft add flour and make a roux. Whisk in milk until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Cook for approx 5 mins. Stir in Dijon mustard.
Stir into onion sauce two egg yokes and mascarpone cheese. Then add grated Parmesan and gruyere. Fold in whisked egg whites. Drain macaroni and stir thoroughly into the sauce and pour into a buttered oven proof dish for 25 minutes in a hot oven. It will puff up and turn golden. Serve with a mixed salad! So quick and so yummy. I love making this for Lynsey as its real comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment